Saturday, October 17, 2015

Digital Blog Post #G- Chapter 10

Chapter 10 Our classrooms are filled with a diverse variety of students. Students come from different culture backgrounds and speak other languages. On the other spectrum, out of students K-12, over 13% receive disability services. Not only are we creating new ways to integrate technology in the classroom, but we are using technology to work with our diverse students. As a future educator, it is important that I recognize and be prepared for the obstacles that I will have to face so I can help every one of my students succeed. As a future teacher, it is important that I create the best learning environment for all of my students.

 By using the differentiated instruction approach, I can help all of my students meet their educational needs. This approach involves the use all learning styles to create activities for these students. All learning styles are used with this approach so we can satisfy every student’s needs. If I had a student that needed my undivided attention, I would have the rest of the class working in groups so I could be with this student one-on-one. Technology will allow the student to work individually while I teach the rest of the class. I like this approach because it allows me to meet every one of my student’s educational needs.

Creating activities for an individual can be difficult at times and in the “digital dialog 10.1” part of the chapter, there are some things to take into consideration while I make these activities. I have noticed that my I base my learning preference off of what subject I’m doing and this is why I think differentiated instruction is a good approach to use. For math and science, I would create more hands on activities and for language arts and social studies, I would lecture. In a 6th grade classroom I observed, I noticed that the teacher incorporated different learning styles. First, the students completed a scavenger hunt on a hurricane information website, then they listened to a lecture about hurricanes. Not only did the teacher use hands-on, visual, and auditory learning, she also used technology as well.

In the “Tech Tool 10.1” section of the chapter, we can see how a whiteboard can create a more efficient classroom. Whiteboards are large touchscreens that allow you to navigate through the teacher’s desktop with the touch of a finger or by a pen. Anything that is wrote on the whiteboard can be saved to the teacher’s desktop. In a math classroom, I would use this interactive whiteboard and have my students complete math problems on the board. I could save all of their work and post to it the class website so my students could go back and look at notes if needed.

We have a diverse student population and with this comes many different types of learning needs. Every one learns differently so it is important that I create activities that will engage every student while meeting their educational needs. We need to integrate technology into our activities as well because it will further engage our students and help them develop tech skills as well. Technology allows for us to create an effective classroom while being able to assist every student’s specific needs.


 Resources:

 Alaimo, Avery. (17 October, 2015) Digital Blog Post G. Made with 

   https://prezi.com/kj6ejpumlvli/whiteboards-rule/#

Maloy, R., O'Loughlin, R., Edwards, S., & Woolf, B. (2013). Transforming Learning with New 

   Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education Inc.

SmartClassrooms. [SmartClassrooms]. (2009, April 9) Smart Boards. Why are they so easy to use?

   Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U05WeXPGlk


1 comment:

  1. Great post - Like your reflective comments that wrap around the content of the chapter readings. And you enhanced them nicely with your Prezi and the video. Nice going!

    ReplyDelete