Sunday, November 8, 2015

Digital Blog Post #J - Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Assessments play an important role in both teacher and student worlds. New teachers are assessed by state tests, other teacher observations, and written assignments. As a future educator, I will assess my students by giving grades, report cards, and by providing written and oral feedback in order to make sure my students are learning the criteria. Student self-assessment is where students participate in reflecting on their own work. Assessments are performed so we can receive feedback and further student involvement.

The democratic school and classroom is where both students and teachers make the curriculum and classroom decisions. Students and teachers have to have thorough discussions about how the classroom will run. Many disagree with the democratic classroom because they claim that students are too immature to make those decisions. I like the idea of the democratic classroom even though I believe it’s easier said than done. With this system, students will be involved in their work and succession because they see more value in what they’re learning based on their own decisions.

I can integrate technology in my classroom by switching from paper portfolios to digital portfolios in a middle or high school classroom. In my opinion, digital portfolios are more appropriate for higher grade levels due to the tech skills the students will need to have. Weebly is a website that I would have my students use to upload images of their best work. If my classroom had its own set of computers, I could have my students do their bell work on their own blog every at the start of class. This would eliminate papers being turned in and make it easier to grade.

At the beginning of the school year, many teachers give preassessments to see what their students know and don’t know. Online surveys takes away the use paper and would engage the students more. I would ask them questions like “What is your preferred way to learn?” and “Would you like to continue to see more online surveys throughout the year?” I could also use online surveys in a political themed social studies project. Our class would follow the elections and compare our results to the real votes. This project would be very engaging while keeping my students up-to-date with the political world.


 As a future educator, I will need to reflect on my own work. After this, I can assess my students while thinking of new and engaging activities. Although I see some advantages to the democratic system, I would never consider it. Students need to be engaged in their assignments so they see the value and can reflect on it. Integrating technology assures that my students will develop tech skills, capture their attention, and help them reflect on their learning. 

Resources: 

Alaimo, Avery (8 November, 2015). Elections. Made with 

   https://create.kahoot.it/#survey/d0492561-7235-4325-a13d-035bb2465035

Maloy, R., O'Loughlin, R., Edwards, S., & Woolf, B. (2013). Transforming Learning with New   

   Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education Inc.



https://play.kahoot.it/#/k/d0492561-7235-4325-a13d-035bb2465035

1 comment:

  1. Great Kahoot - they may be more effective as a 'quiz' than a survey, but it does offer student input and that is the main focus of an online assessment - that, and the opportunity to save/analyze results. :) Democratic schools are pretty rare as that is very non-traditional in the traditional world of education, but many teachers try to envelop the concepts within their classrooms, if nothing else, to provide student choice and voice here and there!

    ReplyDelete